Tuesday, June 14, 2005

“This Important Good Law”

“It was not desirable that the proles should have strong political feelings. All that was required of them was a primitive patriotism which could be appealed to whenever it was necessary to make them accept longer working-hours or shorter rations. And even when they became discontented, as they sometimes did, their discontent led nowhere, because being without general ideas, they could only focus it on petty specific grievances. The larger evils invariably escaped their notice.”

1984
- George Orwell



While most of America has been obsessing over the verdict of the Michael Jackson trial or the conversion of Katie Holmes to Scientology, our dear leader has been stumping at various events across the country urging lawmakers to make certain provisions of the Patriot Act permanent. He has called on them to disregard what he called “unfair criticisms of this important good law.”



Our Leader Posted by Hello

Traveling to various venues in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York, including the National Counterterrorism Center in Tysons Corner, Virginia, Mr. Bush has thrown down the gauntlet to legislators saying, "The Patriot Act has not diminished American liberties. The Patriot Act has helped defend American liberties."

Some civil libertarians disagree, saying the act passed with little debate in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 left some disturbing questions about its constitutionality. Its critics contend that the act’s broad powers of search and detention violate the Fourth Amendment. Ramesh Ponnuru, writing in the conservative magazine National Review, concedes the law should not be made permanent: “Moreover, the civil libertarians make a reasonable demand when they ask that Patriot be subject to periodic re-authorizations, so that Congress can regularly consider making modifications.”


Watch, ride and report Posted by Hello

While there have been draconian laws passed in times of emergency and war in our nation’s past, they have usually been struck down rather quickly after the emergency has passed. Lincoln, for instance, suspended the Writ of Habeus Corpus during the Civil War until the Supreme Court intervened. Every governor has the right to declare martial law in the event of civil unrest, rebellion or imminent invasion.

It is the chilling words of Mr. Bush that concern me; “For the sake of our national security, the United States Congress needs to renew all the provisions of the Patriot Act and, this time, Congress needs to make those provisions permanent".


Secure beneath the watchful eyes Posted by Hello

“Permanent” seems, well, so permanent.

16 Comments:

At 3:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the info

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get a lot of electronic newsletters in my email. Some are really good and to the point. Some are even a mystery of what they are about, but I am yet to find one that discusses topics on Investment mortgage uk and actually be able to stay on the topic for very long. Some ezines are really just boring and uninteresting. But maybe that topic I just brought up could spark interest in someone.
Investment mortgage uk

 
At 3:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my auto insurance price quote site.
Good luck!

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my apply for credit card site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my auto insurance torontoonline quote site.
Have a great week!

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my auto warranty insurance site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a automation engineering
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a automobile insurance licensing oklahoma site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my automobile insurance rankings site.
Have a great week!

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my automobile insurance rates ranking site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my average motorcycle insurance cost site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a bad credit cash out refinancing site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 
At 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my blue cross health insurance site.
Good luck!

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my secure payment processing site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my buying life insurance site.
Good luck!

 
At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my california car insurance quote site.
Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home